Skip to main content
Department of Taxation and Finance

Apply for an extension of time to file an income tax return

If you cannot file on time, you can request an automatic extension of time to file the following forms:

  • Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return
  • Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return
  • Form IT-203-GR, Group Return for Nonresident Partners, Note: Group agents must enter the special identification number assigned to the partnership (i.e., group ID 80081XXXX) in the Full Social Security number field.
  • Form IT-204, Partnership Return
  • Form IT-205, Fiduciary Income Tax Return

When to file

You must file your extension request on or before the filing deadline of your return.

You may no longer get an extension of time to file a 2020 income tax return if your original filing due date was March 15, 2021, or April 15, 2021.

However, taxpayers with special filing deadlines may be able to get an extension of time to file their 2020 income tax returns.

An extension request filed after the filing deadline for your return will be invalid.

Filing deadlines
Filer Return 2020 Filing Deadline for Calendar Year Filers Length of Extension Extended Due Date
Individual Form IT-201, IT-203, or IT-203-GR April 15, 2021 6 months October 15, 2021
Partnership Form IT-204 March 15, 2021 6 months September 15, 2021
Fiduciaries Form IT-205 April 15, 2021 5 1/2 months September 30, 2021

Payment of tax

You must make full payment of the properly estimated tax balance due when you request your extension of time to file.


  • Form IT-370, Application for Automatic Six-Month Extension of Time to File for Individuals
  • Form IT-370-PF, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File for Partnerships and Fiduciaries