Skip to main content

Lost, stolen, destroyed, and uncashed checks

Lost, stolen, or destroyed checks

If your refund check is lost, stolen, or destroyed, contact the Personal Income Tax Information Center at 518-457-5181. You will need a copy of your most recently filed tax return when you call.

Uncashed refund checks

If you still have your tax refund check, cash it now even if you received Form DTF-32, Notice to Owner of an Uncashed Check. (Note: Once you cash the check, there is no need to complete the DTF-32.)

If you do not have your tax refund check and need a replacement, you should have received Form DTF-32, Notice to Owner of an Uncashed Check, automatically. Just complete, sign, and return it no later than the response date on the form.

If you have a jointly issued check for you and your deceased spouse

If your refund check is jointly issued to you and your deceased spouse, you may be able to deposit or cash the refund at your bank. If you cannot, call 518-457-5181.

If you have a refund check for someone else who is deceased

If the deceased individual received Form DTF-32, Notice to Owner of an Uncashed Check, and:

  • their notice is more than one year old, contact the State Comptroller's Office of Unclaimed Funds or call 1-800-221-9311 for assistance, or
  • their notice is less than one year old, have the beneficiary or estate administrator for the deceased submit the signed and completed notice to:
NYS Tax Department
Division of Treasury
PO Box 22119
Albany NY 12201

Scan snap submit ad

person using phone to scan document

Scan, snap, submit!

Did you receive a letter asking you to complete Form DTF-32, DTF-33, TD-210.2, TD-210.3, or TD-210.7?

To receive your new check sooner, use your mobile device to submit your form online!

  1. Scan the QR code on your letter.
  2. Snap a photo of your completed form.
  3. Submit your photo.

Benefits include:

  • security, without the hassle of an account
  • no printer or computer required
  • instant confirmation we received your form