Register for the Basic and Enhanced STAR credits
- Русская версия
- Kreyòl ayisyen
- Free interpretation
The STAR program can save homeowners hundreds of dollars each year. You only need to register once, and the Tax Department will send you a STAR credit check each year, as long as you’re eligible. See the STAR resource center to learn more.
You should register for the STAR credit if you are:
- a new homeowner;
- receiving the STAR exemption but want to switch to the STAR credit;
- a manufactured homeowner who received a letter that you must register for the STAR credit to continue receiving a STAR benefit (Form RP-425-RMM);
- an existing homeowner who is not receiving the STAR exemption or credit; or
- a senior who may be eligible for the Enhanced STAR credit. (Note: If you are already receiving the STAR credit, you do not need to register again. You will automatically receive the Enhanced STAR credit if you are eligible.)
You should update your registration if:
- you received a letter stating that you must update your registration (such as Form RP-425-RDM), or
- your property has an ownership change due to marriage, divorce, surrender of interest by a co-owner, survivorship, trust, life estate, or name change.
When should I register?
You should register for the STAR credit as soon as your home becomes your primary residence.
If you’re switching to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption, see Deadline to switch to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption.
When will I receive my STAR credit check?
Use the STAR Check Delivery Schedule for updated information on when we will begin to issue checks in your area.
Already registered for the STAR credit?
You don’t need to register again unless there’s been a change in the ownership of your home. (See the list of who should update their registration above.) We’ll review your information every year and automatically send you a STAR credit check if you’re eligible.
Is there a separate registration for the Enhanced STAR credit?
No. After you register, we'll automatically send you the Enhanced STAR credit if you qualify. (See STAR eligibility.)
Before you start, have the following information for reference. If you don’t have the necessary information, you won’t be able to save the registration to complete at a later time.
Note: You will be prompted to provide a Property key, but it is not required to complete the registration.
- names and Social Security numbers for all owners of the property and their spouses (you may be asked to enter this information more than once to show the relationships between owners)
- the name of the school district where your primary residence is located
- approximate date the owners purchased the property and the name of the sellers (this information is not required, but it can help us to smoothly process your registration)
- the most recent school tax bill, if the current owners received one (view examples)
- address of any residential property owned in another state
- the legal name of the trust, if applicable
- 2021 federal or state income tax returns for all owners
If you were not required to file a 2021 income tax return, you will need the following additional information for all property owners:
- total wages, salaries, and tips
- taxable interest income and dividends
- unemployment compensation
- total pensions and annuities
- Social Security benefits
- other income.
After you register
- Print a copy of the confirmation page.
- Note your confirmation number. You’ll need it for verification purposes if you contact us later. If you provided your email address, we'll send you an email with your confirmation number.
If you are eligible, we'll send your STAR credit check before your school tax bill is due. To see if you’ll begin receiving the STAR credit this year or next year, see Deadline to switch to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption.
Mortgage escrow accounts: If you pay school taxes through a mortgage escrow account, you may want to contact the mortgage lender or its agent to advise them that you have switched to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption.
In future years
You don’t need to register again in future years unless there is a change in the ownership of your home. After you register for the STAR credit, each year we will automatically review your application to determine whether you’re eligible for the Basic or Enhanced STAR credit. If you’re eligible, we will send you a check in the amount of your benefit.
If you receive a letter from us
If we need additional information to process your registration, or if our records indicate that you are not eligible for the credit, we will send you a letter. The letter will explain how to provide the requested information and how to respond if you disagree.
Get the handout for new homeowners!
Realtors and attorneys, as your clients purchase new homes, we encourage you to provide them with this printable one-page handout: Register for the School Tax Relief (STAR) credit.