Enhanced STAR Income Verification Program (IVP)
Note: If you’re a new homeowner or first-time STAR applicant, you need to register for the STAR credit with the Tax Department, instead of applying for the exemption. See Register for the STAR credit to learn more.
All Enhanced STAR recipients are required to participate in the Enhanced STAR Income Verification Program (IVP). In the first year that you apply for the Enhanced STAR exemption, your assessor will verify your eligibility based on the income information you provide. In the following years, we will verify your income eligibility. You will not need to reapply for the exemption or provide copies of your tax returns to your local assessor.
Note: We will not disclose your income to the assessor. We will only disclose whether your income satisfies the income eligibility requirement.
How to enroll
To apply for the Enhanced STAR exemption, submit the following to your assessor:
- Form RP-425-IVP, Supplement to Form RP-425-E (include the Social Security numbers of all owners of the property and any of their spouses who reside at the property); and
- Form RP-425-E, Application for Enhanced STAR Exemption.
The application deadline is March 1 in most communities, however:
- in Westchester towns, it is either May 1 or June 1;
- in Nassau County, it is January 2;
- in the Villages of Bronxville and Kiryas Joel it is January 1; and
- in cities, you should check with your assessor.
Contact your assessor for the deadline in your area. You can use our Municipal Profiles application to find their contact information. Search for or browse to your municipality, and then select Local officials addresses.
Nassau County homeowners: Submit Form RP-425-IVP along with the county’s Enhanced STAR Property Tax Exemption Application (visit Nassau County: Exemption Forms). Submit both forms to the address on page 2 of the county form by January 2. For assistance, contact the Nassau County Department of Assessment at 516-571-1500.
New York City homeowners: To access the New York City online or paper STAR application, visit NYC Department of Finance: Property Tax Benefits for Homeowners and select the STAR dropdown. If you use the paper application, you’ll find the mailing address on the application. The deadline to apply is March 15. For assistance, contact the NYC Department of Finance at 311 or 212-639-9675.
If you move
After you enroll in the IVP, you are not required to reapply annually for the exemption. However, please advise your assessor if the property is no longer your primary residence or you move.
Additional information for senior citizens exemption applicants
In the past, senior citizens who qualified for the senior citizens exemption were automatically granted the Enhanced STAR exemption. Due to changes in New York State law, you must apply separately for the senior citizens exemption and the Enhanced STAR exemption.
To apply or reapply for the Enhanced STAR exemption, follow the instructions above.
To apply or reapply for the senior citizens exemption, file the applicable form with your assessor:
- for first-time applicants: Form RP-467, Application for Partial Tax Exemption for Real Property of Senior Citizens, or
- for renewal applicants: Form RP-467-Rnw, Renewal Application for Partial Tax Exemption for Real Property of Senior Citizens
See Form RP-467-I, Instructions for Form RP-467 Application for Partial Tax Exemption for Real Property of Senior Citizens, for the application deadline and additional information.
- Enhanced STAR Income Verification Program (IVP): Questions and answers for property owners
- STAR exemption program
- Property tax forms - Exemptions