STAR resource center
Note: If you're looking for information about the 2022 homeowner tax rebate credit, see homeowner tax rebate credit.
The School Tax Relief (STAR) program offers property tax relief to eligible New York State homeowners.
If you are eligible and enrolled in the STAR program, you’ll receive your benefit each year in one of two ways:
- STAR credit check. If you are registered for the STAR credit, the Tax Department will send you a STAR check in the mail each year. You can use the check to pay your school taxes. You can receive the STAR credit if you own your home and it's your primary residence and the combined income of the owners and the owners’ spouses is $500,000 or less.
- STAR exemption: a reduction on your school tax bill. If you’ve been receiving the STAR exemption since 2015, you can continue to receive it for the same primary residence. As long as you remain eligible, you’ll see a reduction on your school tax bill for the amount of your STAR exemption. Note: The STAR exemption is no longer available to new homeowners.
Register for STAR
If you've recently bought your home or never applied for the STAR benefit, register—you may save hundreds each year!
- Find out if you're eligible
- Register for the STAR credit
- Review frequently asked questions
- View Handout for new homeowners
- STAR Check Delivery Schedule Lookup
- Look up your property tax credits
- How to report your STAR credit
Switching to the STAR credit
If you are voluntarily switching to the STAR credit from the exemption or you received a letter that you must update your registration (Form RP-425-RMM or RP-425-RDM), you must complete a STAR credit registration.
Upgrade to Enhanced STAR
Receiving the STAR credit? You're all set! When you become eligible for Enhanced STAR, we'll automatically send you a check for your Enhanced STAR benefit.
If you are a Basic STAR exemption recipient who turns 65 and meets the eligibility requirements, you should apply to your assessor for the Enhanced STAR exemption. You only need to apply once. See STAR exemption program.
Respond to a STAR letter
We may send you a letter requesting additional information or notifying you of a change to your STAR benefit or to the STAR program.
If you received a STAR letter, select it from the list below for more information. (You can find the number of your letter in its lower-left corner.)
Learn about STAR
Whether you're new to the STAR program or considering a switch to the STAR credit, review our resources for a complete overview.
- STAR eligibility
- Types of STAR
- School Tax Relief (STAR) exemption forms
- Homeowner tax rebate credit (HTRC)
STAR exemption information
The STAR exemption program is closed to new applicants. However, if you’re receiving the exemption, there are limited circumstances when you will need to reapply with your assessor. To learn more see: STAR exemption program.